Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tears at Schooltime

Tuesday mornings are always better than Mondays.
You've already gotten over the shock of the start of another week, and you know you're one day closer to the next weekend.
Try telling your three year old that when she doesn't want to go to school. She doesn't care what day it is, unless it's a weekend when she can excitedly announce that she's " not going to school vandaag" (today in Dutch). We had hoped the tears and unhappiness would have subsided a bit, but every morning when it's time to say goodbye in the classroom, the giant teardrops come rolling out of her bright blue eyes, the lip quivers and the arms come up for me to pick her up. And then the screaming " Mama, mama, mama..." which echoes in my ears for a long time even after I've left the school.
I remember my older son having difficulty settling into the school when he first started in kindergarten all those years ago. Like his sister, he went from a Dutch speaking creche to a French speaking school, where suddenly he didn't understand a word. And within a few months he was speaking French, fully integrated into his class and having fun at school. I keep hoping it will all fall into place very quickly for our little girl. It breaks my heart to see and hear her crying this way.
I guess with every passing day things will get easier. At least this is what I keep telling myself. And her. Let's hope she believes me one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment